"To help Native Hawaiian, underpriveleged youth ages 12 - 17 in the Hilo community reveal their individual strengths and passions to build leadership skills, self esteem, motivation, and to gain positive relationships for future career and academic success."
1) To reveal the strengths and passions of youth participants to contribute toward overall student engagement and confidence.
2) To help youth participants develop Individual Student Success Plans (ISSP) to track monthly goals and expectations and to contribute toward building responsible, respectful and reliable students.
3) To provide individual mentoring for encouragement, motivation, self-esteem, and to increase knowledge of future career and academic paths.
4) To implement Hawaiian cultural practices such as the art of hoola hou (balance discipline) and hoe waa (canoe paddling) to teach values and encourage discipline, balance, and leadership for physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.
5) To incorporate STEM principles in the cultural/place-based learning experiences we provide especially in the practice of Hawaiian canoe paddling."